2015 Itinerary

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What Do I Say?

By Roline Thomas

In an episode of the TV sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond”, the rambunctious Frank Barone is caught by the store manager sampling trail mix. While Frank’s son Ray and granddaughter Ally look on, a heated argument ensues between the store manager and Frank. As a result, Ally becomes frightened by her grandfather’s public display. When the three returned home, Ray speaks to his father about the negative impact his behavior had on Ally. Initially Frank defends his actions, but later he decides to talk to Ally. Frank asks Ray, “What do I say?”

Frank doesn’t know what to say to Ally because he never talked to her before. He admitted to reading stories and singing songs to her, but he never had a real conversation with her. As I listened to Frank Barone’s confession, I thought about a time in my life when I did not know how to talk to God. Indeed, I was saved, attended church services, read my Bible, and sang songs to Him, but I really did not know how to talk to God. I listened to people whom I labeled “prayer warriors” pray in a powerful and confident manner. I didn’t know anything about sending up timbers and expecting a blessing. Being a city girl, I did not understand the meaning of being mindful that “my bed was not my cooling board and my blanket was not my winding sheet.”

Prayer is our lifeline to God. Prayer unleashes God’s power so that he is able to work in our lives. God is waiting for you to talk to him. He is waiting for you to acknowledge him, think about him, and show him love, honor and respect.

Matthew 6:7 says. “When praying, do not say the same thing over and over again, just as the heathens do, for they think that they shall be heard for their use of many words.” When you talk to God he doesn’t want to hear the same prayer over and over. Prayers prayed in that manner lose their meaning and becomes insincere.

God deserves more than memorized prayers. He deserves to hear your own heartfelt words. Acknowledge who God is in prayer. He is our Father in heaven. Confess your sins. Thank Him for all he has done, is doing and will do in your life. Talk to him in detail about your needs, hopes, dreams, joys,and everything else that is having any kind of importance or effect on your life.
Consistency is a key in prayer. If you don’t talk often to God, you will find yourself not knowing what to say, much like Frank Barone.

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment